Monday, August 9, 2010

Multi-tasking Online

I no longer lay any claims to be a multi-tasker. I think I used to in my earlier career and actually enjoyed the challenge of loads going on, but now I much prefer to do one thing at a time and do it well with 100% concentration.

Today's Elluminate Live session made me realise I need to try and juggle a load of things at once - getting to grips with the online forum for starters, working out how to be part of the room, listening to whoever is speaking, watching what is coming up in the text boxes, typing in the text boxes and keeping track of the white board, deciding if I should speak or text; never mind having suggested blogs/websites to visit and constant email notifications popping up - if that is not multi tasking then I don't know what is!

There is so much going on 'on screen' that I found it difficult to follow and at times like a pig's breakfast. Like anything, I'm sure practice will help.

2 comments:

  1. Like you say...practice makes it all a lot easier. I have got to the stage where I manage fairly happily by myself but that's been with a couple of years of using Elluminate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely something we have to keep in mind when we are using tools like Elluminate--many of the participants may feel overwhelmed. I know many presenters feel overwhelmed--trying to maintain their train of thought while presenting and reading the chat box. But as you say, practice will help :-)

    ReplyDelete